Thursday, February 5, 2009

When good music becomes bad...

I'm not saying I have the best taste of music.. In fact, I think I have the worst taste of music..

Anyways, I've been coming to 2nd Cup Al-Bustan frequently for almost 6 months.. I like that place ALOT..

The goods aren't bad priced.. I can stay the whole day for 2.5KD (1KD for internet card and 1.5KD for coffee and water)..

The atmosphere is random in here.. People in the coffee house are usually quite and wouldn't bother even a fly.. The sandwiches aren't that good but they're not that bad either.. Friendly staff (One of'em calls me cookie monster because I once ordered something wearing a cookie monster t-shirt :P)...

The internet here is great.. Not so fast (probably 512kbps) but for 1KD, you could stay the whole day.. If you still don't like that, you can leech from CafeSupreme.. Free WiFi but weak signal (Sometimes things go weird and you'll have to pay up for CafeSupreme's wireless)..

2nd Cup's internet is more secured than CafeSupreme, it doesn't allow you to detect any other laptop connected in the same network as if you're the only one there.. Broadcast thingies are disabled as well.. So paranoid people are recommended to use 2nd Cup's WiFi..

CafeSupreme's internet is less secured though, you can apply MITM attacks and get passwords and stuff (Tried it and kinda worked) :P.. But hey, it's for free.. No one is bored enough to do such actions (except me :P)..

Anyways, things are so cool so far.. But here when it gets annoying; 2nd Cup's music!!

I've been listening to the same damn songs for months.. And they totally don't fit the place's atmosphere.. Why? Well..

The manager of this place is Lebanese.. He's a decent and really well-mannered person.. But his taste of music sucks since he's the one who plays the songs..

I think you guessed it right (or not), Fayrooz.. Fayrooz in a foriegn coffee house (American, Italian or whatever).. It's wrong..

OK, Fayrooz rocks!! I don't like her, but I know for a fact she's a great great great singer and her songs are amazing that not alot of people can handle such taste of music..

Fayrooz songs could be played in Lebanese restaurant or coffee place (Or maybe Egyptian if Om Kalthom wasn't there anyways)..

But for a foreign coffee place, Jazz is the most appropriate genre to be played (Most of Jazz musics though, not all of'em).. Maybe Miles Davis, Norah Jones, Chick Corea or even Pat Metheny..

Alright, so Fayrooz is being played.. It's ok for a day.. Or two.. Or three.. But not so repeatidly that they play the same damn songs for a month or so..

And not the type that would atleast blend in with coffee's atmosphere, there's a song or two probably about war (Zahrat Al-Mada2en).. I'm here to drink coffee damn it!! I'm not picking up any weapon to fight somewhere!!

I don't mind if they played different Arabic songs (Old or new).. But the keyword is "Different"..

I'm not sure if it's a lebanese thing or not, but once they like a song\artist they stick to'em like a leeching bug..

I'm no different though, I like Daisuke Ishiwatari, The Bad, Avenged Sevenfold, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Beethoven (And the list goes on)..

But I don't listen to'em so frequently.. I explore new songs.. And whenever I'm with my friends and I get to choose songs, I whether listen to my songs that only I can enjoy'em to piss off my friends, or try the new songs I've downloaded with my friends..

The only way I used to save my day (and ears) was by listening to my iPod.. But it's busted and cracked'n'opened it to see what makes it tick.. Now I have to bear with whatever songs they play..

Things I've learned from 2nd Cup:
* Their coffee is SO BITTER.. I LIKE!!
* iPods (Well, my iPod) uses IDE HDDs.. I can make use of it.. 20GB can save lives :P
* Always bring your music player or a friend with ya so you wouldn't have to keep listening to an inappropriate music (And by inappropriate, I mean something that wouldn't blend with the place's atmosphere)..
* If you like this type of music, well, you'll hate them when you start coming here frequently..

4 comments: